fbpx Skip to main content
Gout Triggers & CausesGout Information

Certain Medications Can Cause Gout

By August 26, 2022No Comments4 min read

Gout can be extremely challenging to diagnose and even more challenging to treat. Overproduction and/or underexcretion of uric acid from the body can be caused by kidney failure and compromised metabolic processes. About 30% of our uric acid production is caused by the food we eat, and the remaining 70% is determined by the wellbeing of our body’s cells. Common triggers that either have high purine concentrations or just have an impact on our body’s cells and how they function include:

  • Dehydration
  • Menopause
  • Hormones
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Sugar (especially high fructose corn syrup)
  • Certain Food Choices
  • Injury
  • Stress
  • Excess weight
  • Fasting
  • Family History




We have to be concerned about the kinds of medications we might be taken that could also cause issues, in addition to the well-known Gout factors. Be sure to address any potential connections between the following medications and your gout if you use or are prescribed any of them:

Aspirin: To reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke, low-dose aspirin (75–81 mg) is frequently administered. It might also appear to be an effective way to manage gout discomfort. Unfortunately, research has indicated that low doses double the risk of recurring gout attacks. These quantities have been demonstrated to inhibit the kidneys’ ability to excrete uric acid. Strangely, higher/regular doses of aspirin do not appear to have the same detrimental effects.

Antibiotics are prescribed to eradicate harmful bacteria from the body, but sadly, they also eliminate healthy bacteria. Due to the fact that the digestive tract houses around 80% of the immune system, the bowels are crucial in the elimination of uric acid. When the body’s beneficial bacteria are eliminated, we can easily develop a variety of malfunctions, including an increase in blood uric acid levels.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol): Can be particularly damaging to the liver and kidneys, both of which are essential for managing and preventing gout.

Diuretics: These medications are frequently administered to help treat heart failure and excessive blood pressure. Additionally, did you know that they can increase the chance of gout attacks by 20%? Diuretics are used to assist the body get rid of extra water, but they can also make the kidneys less effective at getting rid of uric acid. A rise in uric acid levels in the blood is predictable when uric acid excretion is restricted.

Levodopa: This drug, which is given to Parkinson’s disease patients, has been found to raise uric acid levels in the body.

Niacin: To assist treat high blood cholesterol, it can be prescribed or consumed as a dietary supplement. However, niacin tends to compete with uric acid for physiological excretion at high doses of 50 mg or more per day.

Vitamin C: Those who have gout may experience an increase in uric acid when taking vitamin C pills in doses greater than 3000mg. It has also been demonstrated that high doses of vitamin C make the body accumulate iron, which can “light up” the joints. High doses of C should be obtained through nutritious food sources because they don’t have the same side effects as pills.

Patients who have had organ transplants are given cyclosporine and other immunosuppressive medications in an effort to avoid organ rejection. It has been demonstrated to raise uric acid levels in addition to suppressing the immune system.